The new law that determines to what extent animals can evolve has so far two types, I give them names:
- 1. Creatio plus (ability to apply a well-known manipulation- in an other way e.g.apply the ability to seizing branches also for picking fruits) and
- 2. Creatio abstract (ability to mentally deform the situation in the imagination so a new manipulation becomes clear e.g. mentally elongate the finger with a branch to reach the honey, the new manipulation is: breaking a branch from the tree and retain the honey with it)
Sometimes none of these delivers a result.
Now another creative process gets going: the trying on good luck of some random manipulations. Thus to perform a number of manipulations which have not a single reasoning as a basis but are intended to have his curiosity or drift (hunger, thirst, discomfort) to be satisfied.. Example:
A chimpanzee grooms the coat of a congener and removes small iniquities as dander, motes and straw pieces. In Dutch it is called “vlooien” (removing fleas) but there is no question of this inconvenience. These animals have no fleas like a dog or cat. Occasionally lice appear.
It is especially the showing of goodwill to maintain the social bond within the group.
One of them presses with his fingertips locally the hair from a congener aside so that a bit of skin exposes and their target becomes visible. But picking up is a problem. A chimp is missing the opposable thumb needed to pick up small particles. Then he started to try:
- 1. with thumb against side of index finger, grabbing the speck of dust, successful only at straws,
- 2. Trying to wipe away speck of dust, sometimes it works,
- 3. trying to absorb dust with wet index finger, sometimes it works until
4.he picks up the dust with his lips This is catching on.
It is a process that is still controlled by the intelligence ribbon but which is in fact beyond his creative ability. The intelligence ribbon is yet the conductor but as said without a focused goal. The English language has a good expression for it: trial and error.
What the intelligence is still to be able is to determine is whether a trial has a benefit. If this happens the trail-and-error process stops and a new manipulation is born.
© Max Farjon 2018